INA judged Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
Isaac Newton Academy was visited by Ofsted at the beginning of October 2018. The team of six inspectors spent two days observing lessons in all year groups and subjects from Reception to Year 13, talking to staff, governors and students, looking at students’ learning, and reviewing the staff and parent questionnaires. We are delighted to let you know that INA has been judged as Outstanding overall and in all categories, as follows:
- Effectiveness of leadership and management - Outstanding
- Quality of teaching, learning and assessment - Outstanding
- Personal development, behaviour and welfare - Outstanding
- Outcomes for pupils - Outstanding
- Early years provision - Outstanding
- Sixth Form - Outstanding
Interim Principal, Jo Spencer said “We are absolutely delighted that Isaac Newton Academy has been graded outstanding in all categories following our recent Ofsted inspection. It is a fantastic achievement and a credit to the staff at the Academy and our governors, students and parents. The Ofsted report commented on the Academy’s strong leadership, the excellent support we have in place for all students, the well above average attainment and progress made by students from Reception through to KS5, and the exceptional behaviour and attitude to learning displayed by our students. The report also highlighted the excellent all-round development and progress of pupils in the early years and the outstanding provision in the sixth form. I am so proud of what we have collectively achieved and am very grateful for the continued hard work and commitment shown by our staff and students.“
A summary of the key findings from the report is below. The full report can be viewed here.
Summary of key findings for parents and pupils
This is an outstanding school
- The principal and her senior team provide strong, highly effective leadership. The school has expanded rapidly since 2014. Leaders have managed this very successfully and ensured that the school provides an outstanding education.
- Pupils’ attainment by the end of key stages 1 and 4 is consistently above average. Standards in English and mathematics are high, with many pupils achieving the top grades in these subjects by the end of Year 11.
- Pupils make outstanding progress in all year groups because teaching is very effective. High-quality planning and excellent questioning ensure that pupils’ needs are identified and fully met.
- Excellent support is in place for disadvantaged pupils and those who have special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities. As a result, these pupils make very strong progress.
- The curriculum is planned exceptionally well and provides truly memorable learning experiences. It ensures that pupils’ personal development is outstanding.
- Pupils’ health and safety is given the utmost importance. Strong partnerships are forged with external agencies to keep all pupils safe.
- Pupils behave exceptionally well in lessons and around the school. Pupils have very positive attitudes to their learning and enjoy school. As a result, attendance has improved further and is above the national average.
- Governors have an excellent understanding of the school’s strengths and priorities. They provide timely and effective support and challenge to the leadership team. Governors have contributed directly to the outstanding quality of education that the school provides.
- Children get off to a flying start in the early years and make outstanding progress. They have access to a wide range of high-quality activities which support their all-round development.
- Provision in the sixth form is outstanding. Almost all students are studying academic subjects and thriving.
- Occasionally, some teachers do not check pupils’ understanding well enough in lessons before moving on.
It is really pleasing to receive this validation of the school’s work from Ofsted, however we are as keen as ever to continue to develop and improve our provision. We would like to congratulate our staff, students and parents on this great outcome and say a particular thank you to all of our staff members for their hard work and unwavering commitment to INA.