GCSE results 2019
Students and staff are celebrating the third year of GCSE results for the Academy.
The percentage of students achieving the benchmark score of 4 or better in English and Maths GCSEs (equivalent to a C) was 79%. Most impressively, the percentage of students achieving the highest grades 9-7 in all of their subjects was 28% and the percentage of students achieving grades 9-6 in all of their subjects was 44%.
The school achieved an excellent Progress 8 measure with an estimated score of +0.75, well above the national average of 0. This score reflects progress made by each student in the same eight subjects from year 7 to year 11. This once again likely puts Isaac Newton Academy in the top percentile of schools in the country. For Attainment 8, which measures attainment, students achieved a score of 5.5, surpassing the national average.
Isaac Newton Academy Interim Principal Jo Spencer said: “We are thrilled that our students at INA have achieved a fantastic set of GCSE results for the third year running. The students, teachers and staff at the school have all worked extremely hard and this is reflected through this year’s results. The results show what can be achieved through a positive mind-set, fantastic teaching, a great work ethic, great resources and the strong partnership between INA and our families. We look forward to seeing our students continue their journey and achieve equally outstanding outcomes in our sixth form and then at university!”
A selection of photographs from the day can be seen at the bottom of this page.
Among Isaac Newton Academy’s strongest performers in this year’s GCSEs were:
- Age 16
- Received 9 GCSE grades of 9-7 (including triple Science, Maths, English, Geography, PE and Design & Technology).
- “I feel amazing. I did really well. I came to the school in Year 9 and I was below average academically. The teachers supported me so much and this school is incredible and has really helped me to excel. The hard work has paid off. I am going to stay here at Isaac Newton and study Maths, Further Maths and Physics. I aspire to study Pure Maths at Cambridge."
- Age 16
- Received 9 GCSE grades of 9-7 (including triple Science, Maths, English, Geography, Art & Design and French)
- “I did surprisingly well. I exceeded my own expectations. I want to thank my teachers - they helped me a lot. I only joined half-way through Year 10 and my teachers guided me and taught me resilience and hard work, which has now paid off. My parents have also been really supportive. I am planning to study chemistry, biology, physics and geography for A level.”
- Age 16
- Received 8 GCSE grades of 9-7 (including triple Science, Maths, English, Geography and Music) and a grade 5 in Spanish.
- “I did really well and I’m happy. I got grade 9s in all the subjects I am taking at A level. I am planning to study Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. The teachers here really supported me, especially the English department. Before I joined INA, I was in the lowest attaining class for English and now to come out with an A* in English Literature and an A in English Language is incredible. I am really proud.”
- Age 16
- Received 8 GCSE grades of 9-6 (including triple Science, Maths, English, History and PE) and a grade 3 in French.
- “I am shocked, stunned and overwhelmed, especially with my result in History. I usually get a grade 6 in History, so to open my results and see a 9 is just so incredible and unexpected. I am feeling so many emotions right now, I don’t know how to process everything, but I am happy. I am going to enrol for Sixth Form at INA as it’s a really good school and they got good A level results last week. I am looking forward to celebrating with my family and showing everybody the results I got.”
- Age 16
- Received 9 GCSE grades of 9-6 (including double Science, Maths, English, Music, History, Religious Education and Spanish).
- “I did so well, I didn’t expect it, all my hard work has paid off. I am so excited as it’s something I have worked so hard for and I can finally see the results. I am planning to stay on at INA sixth form to study A levels in History, Music and Religious Studies. The motivation of the teachers and my hard work got me here today. I am really, really happy.”
- Age 16
- Received 8 GCSE grades of 9-6 (including double Science, Maths, English, History, Geography and Spanish).
- “I wasn’t expecting to do as well as I did. I got two grade 9s, three grade 7s, one grade 8 and two grade 6s. I am really happy and I am going to go out and celebrate later. My dad is waiting at home so I can’t wait to show him how I have done. My main goal was to make my older brother proud as he has inspired me and mentored me. Growing up he has always helped me out and my goal is to become a civil servant like him. I want to study Geography, History and Literature at A level."
- Age 16
- Received 9 GCSE grades of 8-5 (including triple Science, Maths, English, History, Geography and Spanish).
- “I am really surprised with my results. I am particularly shocked with my English Language result as I got an 8. I would never have expected that and I could only have done it with support from my teachers. They have really helped me and been motivational. I want to enrol at INA Sixth Form and study A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths.”